Ayala Museum and IPAV, Inc. in partnership with Lufthansa, Official Airline, present
A Night of German Songs
An Ayala Museum GuitarNights Feature
featuring LIED DUO
Knut Schoch & Carsten Linck
June 2, 2016 | 6:30 PM | Ayala Museum Ground Floor Lobby
In the 19th century, the “golden age” of the guitar, songs with a guitar accompaniment was the most popular form of vocal music-making. Innumerable compositions for this combination – not only in German – appeared at this time, true masterpieces in a virtually inexhaustible repertoire of songs. It was only from the 1830s that this position on the “popularity scale” was increasingly assumed by the piano, and the guitar song was gradually pushed into the background.
To this day, the wistfulness of the guitar, its sensitivity and delicacy, still reveal a very personal and rather intimate view of the songs of love, passion and death. The listener often finds these settings of poems dealing with romantic feelings or the descriptions of nature popular at the time to be more authentic, and especially in the quieter ranges, more subtle.
The concerts given by the LIED duo (Knut Schoch and Carsten Linck), are always received with enthusiasm by their audience on account of their freshness and intensity, demonstrate the value of reviving the treasures of the guitar song genre from this period. Their usual repertoires include both original compositions from the 1800s and original arrangements of works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Franz Schubert, Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, and Johannes Brahms.
The duo’s captivating concert appearances, enhanced by short introductions to the works and their respective composers composers, give an unforgettable insight into rarely heard but exciting repertoires. In addition, transcriptions such as of the song cycle Die schöne Müllerin by Franz Schubert provide an opportunity to discover new perspectives to old familiar works.
For these song recitals, Carsten Linck plays a 19th century guitar replica by Johann Georg Staufer which has a very similar sound to a fortepiano of the period. As the guitar is played standing, the player can perform in an informal narrative style, creating a very lively performance for the audience.
TO READ MORE ABOUT THE LIED DUO, CLICK HERE.
ABOUT THE CONCERT SERIES
GuitarNights is a new addition to the list of musical experiences offered by Ayala Museum and Independent Philippine Art Ventures, Inc. (IPAV), gathering some of the country's foremost and international classical guitarists, bringing the familiar and beloved instrument to a whole new light.
TICKET PRICES AND HOW TO PURCHASE
P 700 Regular
P 560 Discounted Rate*
P 500 Senior Citizens
P 300 Students
Tickets available for sale at the Ayala Museum ticket counter, open during museum hours:
Tuesdays to Sundays, 9 AM to 6 PM.
* Discount applies to Ayala Museum Members, Ayala Rewards Circle, and AGC Employees.
Terms and Conditions for purchasing tickets:
1. Tickets are now available for sale at the Ayala Museum, Makati Avenue corner De La Rosa Street, Greenbelt Park, Makati, open from Tuesday-Sunday, 9 AM to 6 PM.
2. Kindly present a valid ID to avail of applicable discounts.
3. Cash payment is preferred.
4. Limited seats available. In the event the maximum seating capacity is already reached, succeeding buyers will be duly informed of standing room only status and can purchase tickets at the minimum price (P 300).
5. It is best to call 759 82 88 local 31 or 35 to get the latest update on the availability of tickets.
During concert date
1. Counter for unclaimed and/or unsold tickets (if any) will open on June 2, 2016.
Gates will open at 5:30 PM.
2. Ticket holders who were guaranteed seats (purchased before reaching maximum capacity status) during the sale period may sit anywhere. Please note that there are no seat assignments and that seating is first-come, first served.
3. All tickets sold for the June 2, 2016 concert is valid only during said date.
For inquiries and reservations:
CALL: 759 82 88 local 31